Caring for a lei.
When properly cared for, a lei can last for more than just a few days. To find out what you can do to preserve it, please watch our video below or refer to our quick tip guide. And learn the proper etiquette when it comes to giving, wearing and disposing a lei.
- Unpack the lei(s) immediately
- Keep cool in refrigerators, between 50 ° F – 55 ° F, do NOT store in freezer
- If a refrigerator is unavailable, mist the lei(s) with cool water and lightly wrap in a damp paper towel
- Fragrant leis should be used immediately
- Orchid leis can last in a cooler for up to 3 days, or mist with cool water daily
Giving a lei.
Traditionally, a lei is presented to another by gently placing it around their neck, accompanied by a kiss on the cheek. Alternatively, one can bow slightly, holding the lei just above their heart, welcoming the recipient to take the lei and place it around their own neck.
Wearing a lei.
The beauty of the lei is that it can be worn anytime by anyone on any occasion. However, there is a proper way to wear it. A closed lei should be worn on the shoulders, half of it hanging on the front and the other half on the back. An open lei should be centered on the back of the neck, with both ends hanging down on the front.
Disposing a lei.
A lei should never be thrown away in the trash as it is considered disrespectful. It is customary to return the lei to the earth, You can either remove the flowers from the string and scatter them in the ocean, bury them or burn them. Or simply hang the lei on a door or window to dry it out.
If you have any other questions about caring for a specific lei, simply call us at 808-596-0707.